Perseid Meteor Shower LATE NIGHT Star Party
August 13 @ 11:00 PM - October 14 @ 2:00 AM CDT| FREE
Perseid Meteor Shower LATE NIGHT Star Party!
The Perseid Meteor Shower is going to be a good one this year thanks to a nice moonless night (later in the evening) and the late-in-the-week timeframe.
For this event, we will combine our regular star party, i.e. viewing planets, galaxies, nebulae, and star-clusters with staying up LATE into the early morning hours when the meteor shower’s radiant is high, and more/brighter shooting stars are likely.
The Perseid Meteor Shower is caused when the Earth passes through the debris leftover by Comet Swift-Tuttle. The high-point of the meteor shower is predicted between the 11th and 14th of August, and may yield as many at 90 meteor per hour.
– Event will begin Friday evening at 11PM, and the sky-park will remain open until 2AM Saturday morning.
– Bring your own lawn chairs, Zero-g chairs, blankets, pillows, etc.
– Bring your own cooler, refreshments and snacks.
– Feel free to come anytime between 11pm and 2am. Lay back, relax, and stay as long as you would like.
– Our billboard light on at the corner of Raymond Rd. & 98th St. will go out and stay out around 11:30pm. Be sure you know our exact location / coordinates if you are joining us later in the morning hours.
– Although the meteors will be the big show for the evening, we will have our telescopes trained on dozens of beautiful objects throughout the evening.
See here for the location of Branched Oak Observatory.
HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!