General Public Event – Perseid Meteor Shower Late Night Star Party
August 12 @ 10:00 PM - August 13 @ 2:00 AM
Perseid Meteor Shower LATE NIGHT Star Party
The Perseid Meteor Shower is going to be a GREAT ONE this year thanks to a moonless night and a weekend timeframe.
For this event, we will combine our regular star party, i.e. viewing planets, galaxies, nebulae, and star-clusters with staying up LATE into the early morning hours when the meteor shower’s radiant is high, and more/brighter shooting stars are likely.
The Perseid Meteor Shower is caused when the Earth passes through the debris leftover by Comet Swift-Tuttle. The highpoint of the meteor shower is predicted between the 11th and 14th of August, and may yield as many as 90 meteors per hour.
- Event will begin Friday evening at 10PM, and the sky-park will remain open until 2AM Saturday morning.
- Bring your own lawn chairs, Zero-g chairs, blankets, pillows, etc.
- Bring your own cooler, refreshments and snacks.
- Feel free to come anytime between 10pm and 2am. Lay back, relax, and stay as long as you would like.
- Our billboard light on at the corner of Raymond Rd. & 98th St. will go out and stay out around 11:30pm. Be sure you know our exact location / coordinates if you are joining us later in the morning hours.
- Although the meteors will be the big show for the evening, we will have our telescopes trained on dozens of beautiful objects throughout the evening.
HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!
- No Registration
- Open to Everyone
- Arrive Anytime Between the Times Given
- Stay for the Entire Event or As Long As You Want
- No Park Permit Required
- No Telescope Needed – You are welcome to bring your own equipment!
Confirmed BOO Volunteers For the Evening:
Additional BOO Volunteers are encouraged to join if available.
Volunteers: please check back here (as well as your messages) for event confirmation, cancelation, or postponement announcements.